(NC)-Do you want to know if your new home is energy-efficient? Here are some questions to ask your builder:
1. How do I know your homes are truly energy efficient?
2. Since all builders must meet the requirements of the building code, what makes your homes different from other builders’ homes?
3. How do your building techniques reflect the latest developments in housing technology?
4. What steps do you take to improve the energy efficiency of the homes you build?
5. Can you predict what my energy costs will be?
6. What makes your homes more environmentally friendly than others?
7. Do you participate in the Government’s energy efficiency initiatives for new homes?
8. Do you affix a government-backed energy label to your home?
9. Do independent, licensed professionals inspect the energy efficiency of your homes?
10. Do you build homes that receive an EnerGuide rating of 83 or higher or its equivalent?
If you aren’t getting the answers you want, then you better think twice about your builder.